Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There is an expression in English of sort of dramatic frustration, but in a very familiar, and almost endearing way. So, for example, if your girlfriend/boyfriend does something that is kind of unique or strange, but it is very specific to them, you can exclaim, "What am I going to do with you!"

It is hard for me to explain this expression, and I cannot find a good webpage for it. But I am looking for a way in Chinese to sort of "mock complain" about something slightly weird that someone you care about does. Do you have any thoughts?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Yes, there is a Chinese expression that almost perfectly matches the English one:

我该拿你怎么办

And it is used endearingly, or critically by superiors on inferiors. This also seems to match the English usage.

I don't know about its etymology; from its close match against English and its contemporaneity (Ngram Viewer shows it appeared in the 80's and began to spike from the 90's) I suspect it is highly influenced by the English expression.

share|improve this answer

I think 拿你没办法 is more accurate –  user3306356 Aug 21 at 13:47

@user3306356 这样太直白,没有体现当事人的迷茫,无助和绝望 –  hylepo Aug 21 at 14:01

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.