Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Recently, I've heard the phrase " 为你们服务 “ used in a number of contexts. It seems like a relatively formal phrase, but I'm wondering how widely it could be used. Could I say, for example, "我们一下车就有两个人为我们服务“ (the example would be at a sporting event with volunteers). Is this colloquial? Or would it only work in written, very formal language?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

This totally works colloquially.

One of the most famous slogans in Chinese is: 为人民服务 (Serve the people!) - there is not a single Chinese person who doesn't know this.

Likewise you can always 为 XXX 服务, this should be very easily understood by almost anyone.

edit: maybe it would just sound a little pedantic...you wouldn't exactly say that there's two people serving you in English, though, would you...

share|improve this answer

or

我們一下車就有兩個人服務我們.

or better

我們一下車就有兩個人招待我們.

or more specifically

一下車便有兩個服務員招待我們.

(And I think the leading "我們" can be omitted.)

(Question: is "就有" proper spoken Mandarin?)

share|improve this answer

就有 is fine in spoken Mandarin –  小太郎 Aug 22 at 8:08

我們一下車就有兩個人服務我們.As a native speaker, I will never say like that. I would rather use 我们一下车就有两个人为我们服务。 –  Xiaoge Su Aug 26 at 0:50

@Xiage, how about "我們一下車就有兩個人招待我們." –  Henry HO Aug 26 at 10:10

@Xiage, it is sad to know that we adopt such clumsy sentence structure as the norm ...... –  Henry HO Aug 28 at 0:45

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.