Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Someone translated this 麻薯 as a "potato" and Google Translate says it's Mochi, If it is a potato, could anyone share what kind?

When I tried some research I came up with what looks like a character website (http://taiwanmochi.com.tw).

In English we have sweet potato, red, white, and other kinds...

Google Translate (which I am learning is not reliable) shows this for potato.

Translations of potato noun: 马铃薯 potato 土豆 potato, spud 薯 potato, yam

share|improve this question

In the Doraemon comic, it should be mochi, not potato. –  AngelLeliel Aug 23 at 6:38

@AngelLeliel Thanks for the info: I'm a bit confused because in the comic this is the answer in response to "What is this (while looking at food)?", is there some word play (double-meaning) going on between the characters? –  Tommie C. Aug 23 at 6:41
More precisely, it should be "yakimochi", i.e. "roasted rice cake". You may search Google for more images. –  AngelLeliel Aug 23 at 6:47
I don't think so. Doraemon is from the future and he doesn't known many things at the present time. –  AngelLeliel Aug 23 at 6:51
麻薯 in Taiwanese Hokkien is pronounced as [moa-chi], which, compared to Mandarin Chinese, is more similar to Japanese pronunciation. –  Peterlee Aug 23 at 9:30

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

麻薯 or 麻糬 is the transcription of Japanese desert "Mochi/もち".

The character 薯 means root vegetables.
Most of time it will be potato.

Some examples:

馬鈴薯 potato
蕃薯 sweet potato
木薯/樹薯 cassava

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.