Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know I can order food using phrases like 我(想)要/请给我一份...

But how would I exclude an ingredient, e.g. if I don't like garlic?

我要一份青椒肚片无大蒜。

我要一份青椒肚片不要大蒜。

我要一份青椒肚片没有大蒜。

Would any of those be correct?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

Any of these sentences would be grammatically correct. However

我要一份青椒肚片不要(加)大蒜

would be a better and more common usage in my opinion.

It would be even better to include the character in the parenthesis,

which means "add" or "with" or "include".

share|improve this answer

if you are speaking Cantonese, you can use

我要一份青椒肚片‘’蒜。

in English it's something like take it off.

This usage of 走 comes from English. It's short for "without"; "thout" sounds like 走 in Cantonese. –  Stan Aug 27 at 2:41
@Stan, this usage of 走 has nothing to do with English. It is a one-character version of "攞走", which means to remove or take out sth. –  Henry HO Aug 27 at 9:00

@HenryHO I heard this explanation from an educational program of a Hong Kong local radio station. I hadn't done any textual research on this issue, but I thought it made sense. Do you have any material for your explanation? Thank you! –  Stan Aug 27 at 12:04
@Stan Do you have the name of the program? I'd like to ask them to explain "飛" in "飛砂走奶" (i.e., coffee without sugar or milk). Indeed, both "飛" and "走" are common in Cantonese speaking communities. Hong Kong uses "走" in most cases and Guangzhou uses both. –  Henry HO Aug 28 at 0:38
@ah_hau Of course. See the history of Mandarin, and the history of Cantonese. Well I must declare I'm not an expert at phonology, so I can't endorse all the details in Wikipedia, but the statement "Cantonese has a longer history than Mandarin" is true to the best of my knowledge. –  Stan Sep 5 at 6:50

我要一份青椒肚片不 蒜。

我要一份青椒肚片 别搁 蒜。 (more intensive than 不搁)

I think 放,搁 sounds more natural and navtivelike.

Wouldn't 不放 mean not without? –  Roman Reiner Aug 27 at 15:27

@RomanReiner 不放 here has the same usage as 不加 –  LulalaBoss Aug 27 at 19:22

不放 mean no put :) –  ah_hau Aug 29 at 3:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.