Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that 东西 translates to "something" in english - so I was interested Can I both 一些东西 and 一点东西 be used? If so what are their differences in meaning?

share|improve this question
一些东西 refers to "some stuff" in a general sense. However 一点东西 is subtly different: because 一点 can mean either "some in a general sense" or "(only a) few", when you say 一点东西, the listener would probably feel you suggest "things are few". Thus I don't hear "一点东西" often. "这是我的一点心意" is a good example which shows the nuance. To be humble, native speakers prefer "一点心意" to "一些心意" here. –  Stan Sep 1 at 6:34

4 Answers 4

Yes, 一些东西 and 一点东西 are both OK. 一些东西 means something that the quantity can be either many or less, while 一点东西 means something but not many.

share|improve this answer

You can say both, but they apply in different situations.

一些 means a small number of countable things. Use it when you would say "some" or "a few" in English.

For example:
一些蛋糕 "some cakes" is appropriate to talk about three or four cakes in the bakery window.
一些汽水 "some sodas" is appropriate to talk about a few cans of soda on the table.
一些自行车 "some bicycles" is appropriate to talk about some bicycles outside your school.

On the other hand, 一点 means a small amount or "a little bit" of a "mass noun".

For example:
一点蛋糕 "a little bit of cake" is appropriate to talk about a portion of a single cake.
一点汽水 "a little bit of soda" is appropriate to talk about how much is left in your glass.

The difference is very clear when you try to say 一点自行车 since a bicycle cannot be portioned out "a little bit" at a time.

tl;dr To make it easy to remember, if you can count how many you have (apples, kittens, phones, etc.) then use 一些, otherwise, go with 一点。

明白了?

一些means "some", but 一点 means "a little".

In math, 一些東西 is more than 一點東西.

Just like "some" is more than "a little".

Be careful with the assumptions you're making here. In English, "some" and "a little" are not well-defined. Asking someone for "some" water or "a little" water is likely to yield the same amount of liquid in your glass. Even saying "I'll have some more" versus "I'll have a little more" makes no difference. –  Andrew Kozak Oct 19 at 21:57

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.