Take the 2-minute tour ×
Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I would love a quick overview of the difference btween 面对 and 应对! In particular, I would love to know what you say if you want to use 以...的太对来应对/面对 这个问题? Is 应对 or 面对 used in this instance?

share|improve this question

5 Answers 5

up vote 7 down vote accepted

To answer your question, "以。。。的太对(态度)来应对/面对 这个问题 ?". If you want to stress on the attitude (positive, negative, responsible, etc), you should use 面对. But if you want focus on the action strategy, then it's 应对.

以积极的态度来 应对 这个问题 -> to handle the issue with positive attitude (we should not wait here, it's not the end, let's do something!)

以积极的态度来 面对 这个问题 -> thinking of the issue with positive attitude (it's not so bad, we still have chance, let's more focus on the bright side)

面对 is usually used to describe a situation. Here 面 means "facing -> regarding to".

Meanwhile 应对 is more focus on taking action. 应 means 响应 (respond), 应付(deal with).

One example can be found here: http://jingyan.baidu.com/article/6b97984d9dadef1ca2b0bfe0.html

面对 危机我们该如何有效 应对

How should we respond effectively (regarding) to the crisis

You can find more similar cases by searching both words: http://bit.ly/1nRji4a

share|improve this answer

In my opinions:

面对=to face. One just passively accepts the event. 应对=to act on, to respond. One needs to do something in response to the event.

I would say there no much difference.

If you really want to find something different: 面对:face it 应对:face it and try to solve it

My concise answer:

面对: to face 应对: to cope with

"面對" means "face"; so it simply implies that one does not evade. Yet "應對" is stronger; it implies "面對" and often that one is trying to work solutions out.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.