Chinese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Chinese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to say "Do not print this layer" in Chinese, as past of a photoshop file. How does one say "Layer" in the photoshop sense of the word in Chinese?

Google translate thinks the translation of "Do not print this layer" is: 不打印這一層

But I expect that there's a specific word used for photoshop that's not a literal translation of the English word "Layer".

share|improve this question
'不打印這一層' not a complete phrase, seems like something missing there. '不打印這一層次' a better phrase for the native Mandarin speaker. – user592 Apr 1 '12 at 22:54
up vote 10 down vote accepted

层 is right. to be specified for layers in photoshop, it has the term 图层.

share|improve this answer
I deleted my answer because I think yours answer better, but I wonder why on this article on and this other one at, it seems 层 is enough? – Alenanno Jan 18 '12 at 20:27
Actually 层 already means layer. 图层 is an official term used in Photoshop's chinese version. literally 图层 == graphic layer – Fivesheep Jan 18 '12 at 20:43
Uhm... I'll undelete my answer then, but yours seems more precise anyway. You have a +1 from me. :) – Alenanno Jan 18 '12 at 20:45
In graphics application domain, such as Photoshop, AutoCAD,etc. , the term is 图层. When both of the listener and speaker know what they are taliking about, it can simply be "层" – Huang Jan 19 '12 at 2:36

Actually, the translations of many computer-related terms are shockingly literal from the American perspective.

Here's a whole list of all the Chinese menu items corresponding to layers and so on:

share|improve this answer
In all of the entries of that list, layer is written as "图层", so Fivesheep's post actually answers the question. But that is a nice resource anyway... :) – Alenanno Jan 18 '12 at 20:46
I wouldn't doubt that it's sometimes shortened to just 层. You know, just for our convenience as non-native speakers. ;-) – Terry Waltz Jan 18 '12 at 21:47
I often laugh when learning new computer-science terms at my job. Or really almost all 专业词. – Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 20 '12 at 17:22

The character used, according to my dictionary, seems to be 層 for traditional and 层 for simplified (céng).

Check this article on, or this other one at, I think they confirm that character.

Unfortunately, my level of Chinese doesn't allow me to formulate a sentence like the one you need. I'll ask some native speakers I know and get back at you.

share|improve this answer
After Photoshop (and its Chinese version) been used these many years in China, there is already and accepted translation, whether it is correct (redundant) or not. Even there exists a better one (it will be argued which is better), it will be hard to changed the accepted translation. – fefe Jan 19 '12 at 4:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.