A lot of translations suggest it's "butter biscuit, but that's not the correct thing I'm thinking about.

I'm referring to the filling in bread sold from bakeries that is flaky and sweet, sometimes with raisins in it.

does anyone know what the most accurate translation is?


2 Answers 2


To my best knowledge it's Chinese puff (pastry) or Sou (transliteration of 酥). These words are not super accurate translation though.

  • 1
    +1, Puff does sound pretty good in English--it conjures thoughts of puff pastry, which is the point, so it should be understandable. Flaky and sweet, buttery maybe with raisins, sounds a lot like it could be called a pastry, perhaps Chinese pastry/pastries, a lot like the famous Danish pastries.
    – Ming
    Commented Oct 21, 2014 at 1:22

酥 in Chinese cooking usually refers either to flaky puff pastry or a mixture of flour, oil, and other ingredients. So you're probably talking about the latter. Personally I've used in 葱油饼, a paste made of flour, spring onions, and hot oil.

Something like this is probably what you're talking about:
It's a mix of butter, sugar, egg, and flour, so maybe some recipes have milk powder or milk to make a 奶酥 (and raisins)

This is 葱油饼 filling - she refers to the mixture as the 油酥 which makes sense if it's a mixture of oil and flour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zetjQjqwpdc&t=120

So I don't think there is a direct translation, I might call it a "sweet bun topping/filling" or some other variation of that.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.