What are the original and modern usages of this character/word?

closed as off-topic by NS.X., congusbongus, 杨以轩, Stan, Semaphore Oct 30 '14 at 11:31

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – NS.X., congusbongus, 杨以轩, Stan, Semaphore
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• 查看一下n词库或爱词霸词典怎么样? – user6065 Oct 21 '14 at 20:41
  • zdic.net/z/1e/js/723D.htm try this, usually it means "get high" – user4324 Oct 21 '14 at 21:12

In modern Chinese 爽 is usually for 'bright' (possibly following the four fires in structure)

爽 = bright, clear, comfortable
eg, 舒爽, 爽朗, 爽快

Also note one of it's ancient meaning of 'differ' extends nowadays.

爽 = differ, deviate
eg, 爽约, 屡试不爽

I guess mostly you just hear people say (just this one word). It means they are very happy and satisfied. Some particular times it may even used by people after they just had sex.

爽 is just a feeling of comfortable, clean as @Wala suggested

The impression that this word is rude / a sexual implication because its common use with related to its extended meaning of feeling pleasure, specifically for sexual intercourse. And because of this common reference, people consider this word as inappropiate for formal circumstances.

Wala is right, I just wanner to add more about it. It is OK to use this word with your friends, coworkers, sometiem it is a funny word. But it is not good to use it in front of your parents, a little bit rude I think.

For good usage, it means awesome, for bad usage it describe the feeling after sex.

It means feel good in Chinese,

but it's a rude word, so we won't use it a lot.

it's not rude, in my opinion – Calvin Kwok Oct 24 '14 at 5:13
  • @CalvinKwok It depends where are you. In southern part of China, 爽 is often used to express the feeling after sexual actions, and is considered as rude. A real example is, a brand of soft drink was named as "爽歪歪", which was protested by Fujian people because they believed the name is much too sexual. However in the northern part of China it looks like 爽 does not have any sexual meaning, it only means "feeling good". – Xiaoge Su Oct 27 '14 at 18:45
    No.... sexual implication is just the extended meaning of 爽. No one would care about such extended meaning in a normal talking and normal use. Even in HK, there is some product have the character, for instance, 马蹄爽, 清凉爽. Don't be too sensitive. – Calvin Kwok Oct 28 '14 at 5:34

i just think it feels good. it's a rude word in formal situation.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.