To give context, this is the sentence:

永远不能忘记的是北京,因为我在那里住的太久了,仿佛树生了根一样。

I am not sure how to render the last bit. I'm guessing it's saying:

1. As if I am a tree, the roots are the same as my life, sown in from birth;
  2. I'm the same as a growing tree and its roots.

Not sure if I'm picking out the right things, I'm reading 仿佛 and 一样 as separate items, or does the sentence construction 仿佛...一样 have a meaning of some kind?

If so, how to use it, what is the difference between saying just 仿佛,or using 仿佛...一样?

• 仿佛...一样 a sentence pattern, but 一样 is optional,we can also use 仿佛...一般. – Daniel Yeung Oct 23 '14 at 1:31
  • 仿佛 is seldom used in daily conversation. But if you are writing an essay it's OK to use it. – AGamePlayer Oct 23 '14 at 3:42
  • Accidentally linked to this, I shall point that 彷彿 is the orthography, and 仿佛 is discouraged. 教育部辭典 – Violapterin Jun 9 '17 at 9:11

仿佛: seem; as if ; just like

Example1 : 她工作努力,仿佛不知疲倦似的。 She works hard as if she never knew fatigue .
Example2 : 无论我提议什么事,她仿佛都不愿干。She doesn't seem to want to do anything i suggest.
Example3 : 她她如此美丽,仿佛就像个天使。 She so beautiful just like an angel.

@daniel and @user3835327 have provided enough information on the usage of 仿佛. Your understanding of the sentence doesn't seem to be on spot. It says:

...I have been living there for too long, just like a tree rooted to this land (so that we became inseparable).

仿佛 is that you feels like, but it's not true; 一样 is that actually existed and the same.

There are couple ways to use 仿佛, as well as meaning:
仿佛 = as if, seem (as provided by user3835327)

仿佛...一样 means seems like, for example:
仿佛树生了根一样 - Seems like the tree has rooted there.

Therefore 仿佛 and 一样 can be used separately, while together they forms a sentence structure.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.