the syntax is S V O, one can expand this to include phrases about time and place: S t p V O.

What else can be this SVO structure expanded with? How would a maximal structure look like that incorporates all or almost all phrases possible?

• Would like to hear about the purpose of the question so that discussion may be easier. Otherwise it sounds like a math question. (:
    – Wala
    Oct 25, 2014 at 9:06
  • I have confidence building simple sentences in Chinese, like those whch only are made of S V O. for instance: 可爱的熟女(S) 亲吻了(V) 爱豆腐的青蛙 (O) the sentence does not make much sense, but it is grammatically correct, i could expand this sentence for a time and place phrase: 可爱的熟女(S) 每天(timePhr.) 在井上(PlacePhr.) 亲吻了(V) 爱豆腐的青蛙 (O) so far i am confident, but there exist much more phrases than s,v,o,time and place and i am absolutely clueless where to put them within the sentence structure. Oct 25, 2014 at 11:26

2 Answers 2

• You could assemble Chinese as well as English.
  • Pure SVO structure.
    1. 淑女 亲吻着 青蛙。
    2. 可爱的淑女 偷偷地亲吻着 绿色的青蛙。
    3. 蹲在湖边的可爱的淑女 略带羞涩地偷偷地轻吻着 站在荷叶上的绿色的青蛙。
    4. 一位蹲在湖边的可爱的淑女 低着头略带羞涩地偷偷地轻吻着 一只站在荷叶上的绿色的青蛙。
  • Then add more parts.
    1. 在一个温暖的午后 一位蹲在湖边的可爱的淑女 低着头略带羞涩地偷偷地轻吻着 一只站在荷叶上的绿色的青蛙。
    2. 在一个温暖的午后 一位蹲在湖边的可爱的淑女 穿着连衣裙 头上戴着金灿灿的小皇冠 手上拿着一朵花 低着头略带羞涩地偷偷地轻吻着 一只站在荷叶上的绿色的青蛙。
  • More parts with the help of comma and dash in Chinese.
    1. 在一个温暖的午后,蝴蝶在风中翩翩起舞, 一位蹲在湖边的可爱的淑女 穿着连衣裙 头上戴着金灿灿的小皇冠 手上拿着一朵花,在左右旁顾无人以后, 低着头略带羞涩地偷偷地轻吻着 一只站在荷叶上的绿色的——其实我们都知道那是一只被施展了魔法的,从一位英俊王子变成的——青蛙。
  • If I want, I could write a much longger one. :)

I'll add a bit more into your formula:

S + time + at... + from... + with(someone) + with/using(tool) + to/for(someone) + [把(O)] + V + 了/过/着 + O + 了 + 吗/呢/吧/啊

In Chinese:

主 + 时 + 在 + 从 + 跟/和 + 用/坐 + 给 + [把(宾)] + 动 + 了/过/着 + 宾 + 了 + 吗/呢/吧/啊

That's what I've figured out so far. It might not be that accurate.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.