I don't think 去 in the example below is necessary since 走 already implies, "go", unless the 去 in used as a 介词(preposition).

去故宫(我)怎么走? 
How should I go to 故宫? 

I also do not think that that sentence is verb-serialized(去+走).

Should it be just something like this?

故宫我怎么去?

Thanks in adavance.

You're right that it's not verb serialization, but 去 is still a verb in this sentence. Instead, 怎么走 is the interrogative adverbial phrase that modifies the V+O 去故宫. Consider the sentence structure of a possible answer to the question:

我 骑车     去 故宫。
S  Adv.     V  O 

The structure needs no explanation. Now replacing the adverbial phrase with an interrogative one, the sentence becomes an interrogative sentence:

我怎么走去故宫?

Invert the sentence for emphasis:

去 故宫 我 怎么走?
V  O   |S  Adv.

In the case of 故宫我怎么去, it's the inversion of 我怎么去故宫, where the interrogative adverbial phrase is simply 怎么 without a verb.

我 怎么 去 故宫?
S  Adv. V  O

故宫 我 怎么 去?
O   |S  Adv. V
  • Thank you very much. Just one quick question to make sure... is that so "故宫我怎么去?" is also grammatically okay to use then? – Dean Seo Oct 30 '14 at 5:10
    @YayCplusplus Yes it is grammatical and sounds very natural. – NS.X. Oct 30 '14 at 5:55
    @YayCplusplus You are very welcome:) – NS.X. Oct 30 '14 at 6:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.