I have been given a nice set of small white tea set with bamboo motifs and some foreign oriental marks. There is no single English character. I spent the whole morning trying to draw these marks and see if I can find their meaning but no luck so far. Thanks in advance! Jane

square mark with Chinese characters? It is underneath of 3 cups

Similar characters but not in square mark - it is underneath of tea pot with lid and other pot with no lid

Red small mark in circle - on each piece on top or side of them

THis mark is on 3 cups underneaths of them

in top picture set of characters looks like 1st column 鹏雅, 2nd column 精瓷, always top to bottom, anyhow googling 鹏雅精瓷 yields as 1st result zhidao.baidu.com with 鹏雅精瓷酒杯

picture below more clearly looks like 鹏祥

I will follow your recommendations - but from answer I understand that this indeed is Chinese, which helps massively ! Thank you very much !
    – Jane
    Nov 24 '14 at 18:29
  • @S.Rhee Actually, you could add some translations, too. I assume, Jane doesn't speak Chinese, so she could at least grasp what is printed on the items, Google Translation tends to be rather unreliable.
    – imrek
    Nov 24 '14 at 18:56
    to get an idea of the meaning could enter 鹏雅精瓷into 小马词典: xiaoma.info/…
    – user6065
    Nov 24 '14 at 21:15
    also note that characters written in lines sometimes are written from right to left, this may apply to the 2nd picture containing 鹏祥, since 祥 is an adjective auspicious ; propitious ; lucky (as well as a surname) and 鹏 is a noun. Besides 祥鹏 Lucky Air is the name of an an airline company.
    – user6065
    Nov 24 '14 at 21:36
  • Thank you all for providing me with so many useful info! I am amazed by the capacity of this simple character 精 - it has so many meanings.. There is one red mark on those cups - I posted the photo of it earlier - are these any characters or rather decorative feature ? And how about the black strange mark - which looks like PI with dots - I don't think it is Chinese - but yet these all marks are on the same tea set - just some marked differently than others.. this is so intriguing :D
    – Jane
    Nov 24 '14 at 22:07

Yes, they are truly Chinese. From top to bottom:

鹏雅精瓷: “精瓷” is a kind of chinaware, and “鹏雅” is the brand name, I think.

鹏祥:(the words from left to right) I think it is also the brand name of the plate/tea set.

:which means “lucky”. I think it is the Chinese character “吉” with a circle around it in the picture.

金顺:in the picture, the words are upside down with the logo(or some image) in the middle. I think it is also the brand name. “金” means “gold”, while “顺” means (everything goes)smoothly; without a hitch.

As far as I know, in the old times, in the bottom of chinaware, people will write the name of the year of that dynasty, like "大清雍正年制(Made during Yongzheng's ruling years of Great Qing Dynasty)". In the modern time, the chinaware tea set or wine set are tend to be written on the brand name or factory name on the bottom.

Correct me if I am wrong :)

Meanings are searched based on http://www.xiaoma.info/

• Excellent supplementary answer willyang! Thank you for elaborating on the meanings and those up-side-down characters. You was wonderfully helpful Oh - and even if I wanted to I cannot 'correct' you because I am totally unfamiliar with chinaware, perhaps somebody else will step in :D
    – Jane
    Nov 28 '14 at 0:25
  • @jane if this was helpful you should mark this answer as the accepted one. Jan 23 '15 at 21:27

These are all brand names, I suppose.

As Chinese, I hate these...

If you are interested in chinas, remember that: Thinner Is Better (Some gorgeous chinas will let the light go through). And the best chinas in China are always produced in 景德镇.

And notice if you found a bowl with "**朝****年制" on a high price, never buy it. They are forgery.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.