I have a sentence with a given translation, as follows:

你多与别人就此事沟通。 = You communicate with other people.

Why is 多 put into this sentence, it is not mentioned in the translation. What would be the difference between the given sentence and the same sentence without the 多?

与别人就此事沟通 <> 你与别人就此事沟通 ?

It is a polite way to make suggestions, e.g.

我建议你多运动。
I suggest you to do sports/exercises.  

or

请你多指教。
Please give some guidance/opinion.

So I guess, a more proper translation of you example would be: 'You should contact other people about this issue.'

• Is this similar to english "better", like in : you better go and apologize V.S. you go and apologize ? – meireikei Nov 25 '14 at 23:25
    Not exactly, I guess. Wang Dingwei will give you a better picture of it, my guess is that you can simply think of this 多 as "do more if you are already doing it, or do if you don't do it at all". You catch a cold and a friend says to you: 你多喝茶! Drink (more) tea! [depending on if you are actually already a regular tea drinker or don't drink tea at all] – Drunken Master Nov 25 '14 at 23:31
  • yo, that is quiet helpful! – meireikei Nov 25 '14 at 23:35

你多与别人就此事沟通 means you should take more attention to talk with others.

你与别人就此事沟通 means you should talk to others.

Means "more often" or "it's better to do sth"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.