I make my homework, but I am not sure in translating of a sentence and would be glad to become an answer from native speakers. The task is to write an answer to a question. The question is: 学经济的人多不多? I understand it so: Do many people study Economics? And this is the answer, I had written down:学经济多的人。(Many people study Economics.)

Is it possible to answer this way or the meaning is another? Or the meaning of the question is totally another? I would be grateful for your help! Thank you!

• I read your answer as "People who studies a lot of economics" but then again I been in Canada for so long my chinese isn't that good any more. So to a native speaker it might not make any sense – Huangism Dec 8 '14 at 18:22
  • @Huangism As a native speaker for so long time, I interpret it at first glance as "people who studies economics a lot", too :) – Stan Dec 8 '14 at 18:26
  • @Stan it seems my chinese is still ok, if someone answer with that to me, I would get it however it is not the correct way to answer. That being said, it could be because I am so used to translating english/chinese that I can understand most mistakes – Huangism Dec 8 '14 at 18:28

Your answer is incorrect. The subject of your sentence is 学经济的人 (people studying economics, "study-economics-people") and your predicate is 多 (many). So putting it altogether:

学经济的人(很)多。 (positive) or 学经济的人不多。 (negative answer).

If you are not required to answer the question in a sentence, you can just say 多 or 不多. But it is much better to answer it in a sentence as this answer suggests, specially when you are learning – Huangism Dec 8 '14 at 19:07
  • @Huangism Of course! – Drunken Master Dec 8 '14 at 20:21

protected by Community Sep 15 '18 at 1:40

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.