Please correct my word order and explain 有-usage rules.

Question:

哪里有中国地图?

The task for me is to translate the answer, using 有. My variant is:

他哪里有中国地图。

Is it possible to say:

那里他有中国地图。(There, with him there is the Chinese map.)

The same problem, with

哪儿有市场?

And my variant of the answer is:

公园这儿有市场。(Here, with park there is a market).

• I'm sorry, you need to translate the answer? What does that mean?
    – Mou某
    Jan 25, 2015 at 10:37
  • Hello, yes. I have translated the answers, but am not sure in word order.
    – Glossary
    Jan 25, 2015 at 10:39
  • 哪里有中国地图? is fine. 他哪里有中国地图。 is fine also. 公园这儿有市场 is okay if you are at the park when you say this.
    – Mou某
    Jan 25, 2015 at 10:42

2 Answers 2

Locations should use 在:

市场在哪儿? / 市场在公园里。

Likewise, a means for obtaining something is sometimes required:

中国地图哪儿买的? / 中国地图在那家书店买的。

去哪儿找中国地图? / 可以在图书馆找到中国地图。

• Thank you! Yes, I know about 在 usage, but the task in the excercise was to answer the questions using 有 in meaning (there is/there are). And with 有 usage sometimes I don't know which word order will be correct.
    – Glossary
    Jan 25, 2015 at 11:15
  • Usually, 有 means more permanent existence, like in 东边有海,北边有山,西边有个琥珀,庙里有个姑娘。As for word order, Mandarin prefers SVO: 他有个女朋友。 Location is normally placed between subject and verb: 他 (subject) 在天津 (location) 有 (verb) 个 (classifier) 女朋友 (object). Location can be placed more freely, though: 在天津 (location) 他 (subject) 有 (verb) 个 (classifier) 虐朋友 (object), or 他有个女朋友在天津。
    – user4452
    Jan 25, 2015 at 15:28

Q: 哪里有中国地图?

A1: 他那里有中国地图。 A2: 他那儿有中国地图。

Normally, "哪里" is for question, we could use "那里" to answer the location of something.

那里他有中国地图: Incorrect order for "那里" and "他", "他那里" is fine.

有-Usage rules in your case is pretty straight forward, it normally put in-front of the object that you are mention. But for some cases, you could let your sentence starts with 有, for example, 有个中国地图在他那里 (There is a Chinese map with him.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.