On my Chinese dictionary, there are a few characters that I don't know what it means. It says: 商务印书馆. I want to know what it means.

closed as off-topic by NS.X., songyuanyao, neubau, Claw, 杨以轩 Feb 21 '15 at 14:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – NS.X., songyuanyao, neubau, Claw, 杨以轩
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This could easily have been looked up in a dictionary, like CC-EDICT, freely available. – Ming Feb 19 '15 at 0:46
  • I don't find that in my dictionary – Happy Time Feb 21 '15 at 17:44

A quick Google search told me this:

商务印书馆 is the first modern publishing organization in China.

Your dictionary is probably published by 商务印书馆.

pic

• Modern?? 商务印书馆The Commercial Press, Beijing (est. 1897) – Pedroski Feb 19 '15 at 2:46
  • @Pedroski That sounds modern to me. – Stumpy Joe Pete Feb 19 '15 at 4:47
  • Maybe you would like to change your name to Methuselah!笑话啊! – Pedroski Feb 19 '15 at 9:19

It's the name of the publisher of the dictionary. Xin Hua Zi Dian (新华字典) by 商务印书馆(literally: Commercial Press/Publishing/Printing Company) is the standard dictionary or at least the recommended dictionary by education ministry for schoolers in Mainland China. It's like what Webster dictionary is in the U.S. or Oxford dictionary is in the U.K.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.