We all know and love Engrish- hilariously bad English sometimes produced by native Chinese speakers. But is there an equally pat Chinese phrase to describe the converse- the weird, pitiable attempts at correct Chinese made by the benighted 老外? Seems only fair that there would be...

I have never heard Chinese speakers saying "Engrish". Even phonetically they would never use an 'r' here, as a Japanese or a Korean speaker might would. How pitiable your question is. – Drunken Master Feb 21 '15 at 11:14
    it's more of a generic term to refer to odd English usages by native speakers of various East Asian kangauges (especially Chinese and Japanese) – Master Sparkles Feb 21 '15 at 12:54
  • @Drunken Master Perhaps "Engulish" is a better term? – Michael Lai Mar 11 '15 at 22:44
  • haha "Engulish" is cool too, just not what we use :) – Master Sparkles Mar 11 '15 at 23:41

I don't think there's a sweeping term for that and I don't think the word Engrish is actually a term either.

But here is something might humour you.

伦敦音: London accent. It's actually from a 相声(Chinese Stand-up comedy) piece. Basically means the way of English speaker trying to say Chinese but can not get the rhyme and all the tones right. And to add humour effect, both 伦 and 敦 are pronounced in flat tone.

• works for me - btw "Engrish" is definitely a term, for better or for worse. Thanks! – Master Sparkles Feb 21 '15 at 3:31
  • @MasterSparkles Good to know. Although I don't think there's a term for Chinese with foreigner accent, I do know a term the Chinese use to make fun of us speaking English. Chinglish, which my English teacher told us to avoid. Some typical Chinglish is pronouncing C as Say or V as Vay or We as Way. – user1228520 Feb 21 '15 at 8:03
  • yup Engrish==Chinglish. Same thing :) – Master Sparkles Feb 21 '15 at 12:55
  • @MasterSparkles Here you say Engrish=Chinglish, but above you say Engrish is odd English usages by native speakers of various East Asian languages including Japanese. I think these are coarsely humorous words and not really respectable. – Colin McLarty Feb 24 '15 at 1:30
  • I agree... That's why I'm curious whether the Chinese have any similarly uncouth terms to describe our attempts at Chinese, to balance things out :) I'm not really sure why I should care if such words are "respectable" or not - they're there, and should be thought about and understood ... – Master Sparkles Feb 24 '15 at 1:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.