I keep seeing parts of modern duilian's made of one 成语 + three random characters.

Something like: 国泰民安 + 增财富

• How did duilian evolve to this level?
  • seems kind of a generalization... can you provide more examples? Where do these duilian come from/where do you see them? I know some high school teachers in China with very good Chinese (i.e., rigorous classical education) who can write terrific duilian, but I wouldn't expect the same quality from a pair you buy in a store, for example... Mar 20, 2015 at 21:05

1 Answer 1

This observation is merely coincidental. The first 4 characters need not come from classical Chinese idiom (成語), and the remaining 3 are by no means random.

Couplet (Duilian) has specific rules. The linked article has a list of requirements and its etymology.

For example, the cliché duilian

天增歲月人添壽

春滿乾坤福滿門

"天增歲月" is not a recognized chengyu, but means "As heaven attains greater age"; "人添壽" is not random but has to relate to it, meaning "people enjoy longer years".

Moreover, a line of 7 characters is common but it is not a requirement.

For example, the famous (but modern (19th century)) couplet in Temple of Zhuge Liang in Chengdu

能攻心則反側自消從古知兵非好戰

不審勢即寬嚴皆誤後來治蜀要深思

also meet the requirement.

Duilian

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.