Yet another sentence where I know all the words but can't work out the correct meaning!

In one of my textbooks I have a series of phrases:

1. 给我礼物
  2. 给谁的礼物
  3. 这是给谁的礼物?

Would I be correct in translating these into English as:

1. Give me a present
  2. Give who a present
  3. Whose present is this?

I remember learning something last semester about sentences where the verb can come before the subject in order to emphasise the action and have a suspicion that this might be relevant but can't seem to use that idea to translate the phrases/sentences in a way which is convincing to me.

Thanks for your help in advance, Andrew

3 Answers 3

Literally, following Chinese syntax: This is give who(m) 的 present.

English: Who is this present for?

So I would say 1 and 2 are correct, but 3 might be better as above.

Sometimes it is not possible to just build an expression without changing the meaning of the rest of the sentence. I would translate these into English as:

1. Give me (a/the) present (给我礼物)
  2. A/the present to give to who? (给谁的礼物)
  3. This is a present to give to who? (这是给谁的礼物)

If it was the expressions that you intended:

1. Give me a present (给我礼物)
  2. Give who a present? (给谁礼物)
  3. Whose present is this? (这是谁的礼物)

I am Cindy, a native Chinese teacher from iChineseLearning. This would be the correct translation: 1. 给我礼物 - Give me (a) present. 2. 给谁的礼物 - Whom is (this) present for? 3. 这是给谁的礼物? The third sentence actually has the same meaning as the second one. It just put an emphasis on 这 (this).

If you have further questions, you can raise your question at here: http://www.ichineselearning.com/learn/ask-a-question.html

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.