I found this in an article, and then looked it up on the internet. From what I see, it appears to be playing pranks on people.

Give some context please. – Flaudre Apr 5 '15 at 2:13
  • iciba: <动> put in order ; adjust ; repair ; mend 3. (使吃苦头) make sb. suffer; punish 5. (动)使吃苦头:~人。 整 used in this sense is very familiar to users watching TV series about crime, 在这个意义上使用这个词,看刑侦电视剧的使用者都很熟悉 – user6065 Apr 5 '15 at 3:55

It actually has 2 meanings.

The first one mean fool somebody or make jokes on somebody. For example, when you want to sit down, and I pull the chair away which makes you sit on the ground directly. This action can called 整人.

Another meaning is more serious. If a person A does not like another person B, A will do a lot of bad things on B in order to embarrassed B. For example, it can happen in a company. If A does not like B, A will treat bad on B and force B leave the team or the company. It is also called 整人.

| improve this answer | |
  1. '整人'means to make a trick to somebody,but normolly it is a little bit negative. Perhaps '整人'can make somebody unhappy,but others laughing.
  2. In another meaning, '整人'means to harm someone by means which are under the table.It's totally a bad behavior.

Long story short, I think you got it right.

整人 = playing prank on people.

That is most common way to understand it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.