I have heard my Chinese-speaking friends asking each other 吃飽了嗎? several times when they are done or almost done with their own meal. And I have wondered, "Why would they ask others such question? Would it not imply that they are rushing others to eat faster?" I feel that the question indicates impatience and can be rather offensive, especially to those with a slower pace. Nonetheless, I tend to believe that the question has other implications. As such, is it really intended to rush others to eat faster?

If the one who asks the question is the one who will pay the bill, the situation would be a common phatic conversation -- the question 吃飽了嗎 would imply, "if you feel the food is not enough, I will order more for you." – Stan Apr 10 '15 at 20:58
  • so they can stuff you more. just kidding. – Registered User Apr 14 '15 at 0:56

When asking a Chinese person "are you full" when eating a meal its like asking "are you enjoying your meal?" The host will be happy if he knows you are full.

But when someone says 你吃飽了嗎? to you when not eating a meal. it means "Are you stupid?" or "Are you crazy?"

• Thanks for the complete answer! The second part is quite surprising to me... – Thomas Hsieh Apr 10 '15 at 22:41
    @ThomasHsieh In the second situation, it's actually short for 你吃饱了撑的? – xzczd Apr 11 '15 at 10:56
  • @xzczd Ah I've heard of that I think. Thanks much! – Thomas Hsieh Apr 11 '15 at 15:04

It has more of an 'are you satisfied?' feel.

It is nothing more than a sympathetic gesture. The more general 吃饭了没有? just means ”how ya doing?”, ”are you alright?”.

It simply implies kind of a care to you.If you say you're already full,that means you enjoy this meal and want no more.Sometimes,when you say you are full,it implies that you can do other things concentratedly.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.