The Wikipedia article on the 匈奴 gives a literal translation as 'fierce slaves'.

Did 匈 mean 'fierce' in former times? What is the etymology of this character?

FYI, means chest/breast/thorax, not . – Thomas Hsieh Apr 18 '15 at 2:25
    @ThomasHsieh Check Pleco or en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%8C%88 I hope you know the story behind 永 and 泳 to understand why 匈 means thorax/chest/breast. – Drunken Master Apr 18 '15 at 5:38
    I don't really think this interpretation listed on WP is correct. "奴" could mean "lowly people", but not necessarily literally "slave" in this context. It could also just be a pure transliteration. Not to mention "匈" is also more likely a transliteration of the sound instead of "fierce", because "fierce" is "凶" – xji Apr 18 '15 at 7:26
  • @DrunkenMaster Thanks for the lesson! I have almost no knowledge on Chinese character etymology. – Thomas Hsieh Apr 18 '15 at 13:05

is the ancient character of , means chest/breast. And I can't find any other original meaning of it besides this.

“胸”的古字 [bosom;chest]
匈,膺也。——《说文》。字亦作胷、作胸

According to the explanation of , it's a later character for .

从肉,匈声。本作“匈”,胸是后起字。

匈奴 is just the transliteration from the name of an ancient nationality in North China, has nothing to do with fierce slaves.

Reference:
匈的解释
胸的解释
孙健:说说“匈奴”这个词的起源

Thanks for the 匈 ~ 胸 etymology. I hope other people, like @Thomas Hsieh can also understand this phenomenon. – Drunken Master Apr 18 '15 at 8:52
    @DrunkenMaster BTW, back to your question, I can't find any other original meaning of it. – songyuanyao Apr 18 '15 at 9:14

凶 seems to mean fierce. http://www.zdic.net/z/15/js/51F6.htm 勹 means wrap.

'wrap up something fierce' Your raging spirit??

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.