Sportsmen use some phrases to encourage themselves during the game.

So what do Chinese sportsmen usually say when they win the score?

For example, in this video at 5:40, Ma Lin cried something like: "chu!... fa!"

Sometimes I hear 'dui' which I suppose most likely corresponds to "对!", is it also used to encourage themselves?

• "chu!... fa!" is just a personal habit to encourage himself and keep active, especially for a sportsman. – WangYudong Apr 23 '15 at 10:11
  • @WangYudong could you please provide some common examples for self encouragement and what characters could "chu” and "fa" be? – Ivan Gerasimenko Apr 23 '15 at 12:22
  • win the score? unfamiliar phrase, using iciba -> get/make the highest score,得分最高,win 。。。赢得最高分,win the scoring title 获得得分王的称号 – user6065 Apr 23 '15 at 12:27
  • @S.Rhee no, not the phrase "win the score" I need self motivating shout. Like "Yeah!", "Did it!", "Awesome!" – Ivan Gerasimenko Apr 23 '15 at 12:35
  • comments may focus on peripheral issues 评论可以重点次要问题,反正至于网球而言win the game比win the score似乎还要常见 – user6065 Apr 23 '15 at 13:14

Either saying 加油 or 加油加油 in a faster speed is a way to express the encouragement to oneself or the others. Also 哈(hà), 耶(ye, Enligh word Yeah), 呵(hè) can express the excitement when you win the score.

Actually, "chu" and "fa" are just sound and no specific Chinese characters for the meaning you want.

• As I see, 加油 is not to say to yourself when doing sports, am I right? Is it just said by people who came to see the sport competition? – Ivan Gerasimenko Aug 6 '15 at 19:35
    @IvanGerasimenkoi Come on has the same meaning as 加油 when to cheer up. Do you think Come on can't be said to oneself? Of course, in Chinsese, 加油 can be said to oneself. – WangYudong Aug 7 '15 at 0:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.