• Are there any Chinese langauges (topolects/dialects) that have multi-syllablic readings for single Characters?

Like, Japanese, for instance has a lot of multi-syllablic readings for single Characters, e.g.:

もの (mono)

Any Chinese language(s) with this feature?

• Yes, 多音節漢字. – Stan May 1 '15 at 9:58
  • @Stan 圕 and characters alike are contractions not real polysyllabic characters. It's still only a single syllable, 'tuan'. – Drunken Master May 1 '15 at 10:02

The closest to your idea are the contracted characters, most of them created during the 20th century. Some examples include

• 圕 tuan1, short for 图书馆

• 瓩 qian1, short for 千瓦, kilowatt, (where the thousand/kilo part is actually wrapped right to the 瓦 character for aesthetic or 'economic' reasons, despite the fact that the multiplier of quantities always comes first), or

• 兙 shi2, short for 十克, decagram (same story as 瓩)

• 浬 li3, short for 海里, nautical mile, yet another contraction.

Some other similar characters have not yet made into the Unicode tables, so you won't find them online.

I think it's important to point out that these are modern day contractions owing to the nature of all language users: trying to be economical in writing. These characters popped up for the same reasons like the dollar sign ($), or the the copyright sign (©) and so on, they are pure abbreviations to save the writer from having to write out multiple characters. I think it's hard to accept them as real multisyllabic characters, mainly because they tend to have a monosyllabic reading, too.

Yeah, I doubt anyone is going to read 甭 bú yòng... – user3306356 May 1 '15 at 11:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.