I'm looking for synonyms of everyday words, and I realized many of these "complicated words" are used in Chinese literature. Is there a name for this group of words? For example, we sometimes read 蓦然 in books which is actually just 猛然

  • 2
    Do 蓦然 and 猛然 really mean exactly the same thing? The character 猛 by itself seems more ferocious that 蓦. Commented May 2, 2015 at 16:26
  • If you like elegant or interesting words,why not read classic novels。 hard to read,but really plentiful.
    – sfy
    Commented May 4, 2015 at 4:32

1 Answer 1


One way is: 书面语 . See http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B9%A6%E9%9D%A2%E8%AF%AD for more information

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.