jDictionary Advanced English Dictionary defines guilty pleasure as:

guilty pleasure

(idiomatic) Something that brings pleasure but is considered taboo, unadvisable or lowbrow. "For the renowned sushi chef, eating fish sticks drowned in tartar sauce was a guilty pleasure."

Not looking for things like: 罪恶的快感.

Hoping there's something more idiomatic.

How about 恶趣味? Literally "an evil interest".

For your example,

For the renowned sushi chef, eating fish sticks drowned in tartar sauce was a guilty pleasure.

对于一位有名望的寿司师傅,吃着配上塔塔酱的鱼柳条是种恶趣味。

Some other interesting translations include:

• 罪快乐. It takes the pronunciation of 最快乐 (happiest) to imply that it's the happiest, yet a "crime".
  • 罪乐感. It derives from 罪恶感 (guilt) to imply that it's a guilt which makes one "happy".
    恶趣味 is good candidate. The other two are made-up words which don't meet the 'idiomatic' criteria. – NS.X. May 21 '15 at 20:05
  • @NS.X. Yup, I agree. Thanks for noting that! – Thomas Hsieh May 21 '15 at 20:07
  • @NS.X 痛并快乐着?快乐而又痛苦着?this is the closest thing I can think of, you see it often in chinese, the actually translation doesn't exactly match, but I think it is used more commonly to express the same thing – Mindless May 22 '15 at 0:24

I found these on douban.com, maybe they are helpful.

• 偶尔纵欲

• 暗爽

罪恶的快乐 or 带罪恶感的快乐

For example, 罪恶的快乐 is used in this article: http://www.360doc.com/content/15/0301/14/11843203_451727066.shtml

Compared to 罪恶的快感, I think 罪恶的快乐 is slightly less ambiguous. 带罪恶感的快乐 is not ambiguous but lengthy. In Chinese, shorter sentences are preferred. Some ambiguity can be resolved by context. A slight criticism is in Chinese, precision cannot be achieved without accepted gramatical tools (functional words).

罪恶的快感 = the pleasure of being guilty (similar to 完美犯罪的快感,快乐杀人) For example: http://blog.udn.com/godzillahome/20539898

罪恶的快乐 = the pleasure mixed with some guilty feeling

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.