I have this definition for 公示:指政府机关或团体下达的指示、通告等。

and this sentence: 卡拉OK版权费征收标准的公示一出,老板和消费者对此都有不同的反应。

After the copyright-fee levy standard for Karaoke (bars) was 公示'published'(??), bosses and customers reacted differently.

Maybe 'enacted', ‘enforced’??

• How about 'introduced'? – Pedroski Jun 9 '15 at 5:11
  • public announcement? – Alex Jun 12 '15 at 21:48

公:public;示:notify so, put these characters together, 公示means “to notify the public about some events or public decision” or "something that publicly notifies the population about some events" .

Thus, to your question, 公示 is a noun, "一出"is a verb means "release". And in your case, 公式was translated as "standard" which makes sense, because industry standard made by some public organization can be seen as "something that notify the public about some public decision".

• The translation was mine, not from a book. I was guessing at 公示。Standard would be 标准 I think, there is no 公式 in my text. This 版权费 is required by a 政府机关或团体, left to their own devices, no one would pay! If it is a noun, it could be 'announcement', but that does not fit well, then rather 'announced' or 'notified the public'. – Pedroski Jun 9 '15 at 9:57
  • Would you like to try and translate the whole sentence? – Pedroski Jun 9 '15 at 10:14
  • Once the PSA for Karaoke royalties standards was published, owners and patrons all had different reactions. – Ampersand Jun 9 '15 at 16:57
  • make known to the public
  • notify (the public)
  • inform (the public)
  • proclaim [e.g. a state organ; this doesn't fit your context]
  • release (information)
  • to display (information)
  • or simply: announce [as in the comment above]

Maybe you know 告示. I think 公示 is the official version of 告示. So I think 公示 = official bulletin (or something similar).

So the whole sentence should be: After the official bulletin for copyright-fee levy standard for Karaoke was publicized, bosses and customers reacted differently.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.