The exact sentence I'd like to translate is

The general consensus is that most people consider Southerners to be friendly

or

One stereotype that Southerners have is that they are friendly.

I know you can use "总的来说“ to mean "Generally speaking", or "In general", but I really want to convey the stereotype aspect.

I would say 人们一般都认为... for “In general, most people consider ...” BTW, 总的来说 would give a Chinese native speaker an impression that you want to conclude something, so it's not always a proper translation for "in general" (depending on the situation). – Stan Jun 12 '15 at 6:40

人们普遍认为南方人很友好。

This sentence is... strange.

It means: the consensus is NOT about "Southerners are friendly", but about "most people consider this and that". Or did I understand it incorrectly?

"General consensus" can be translated as "普遍共识", but this is too official, often used in government documents or the news. Also, this is a noun, not a verb.

Orally, people say 人们普通(一般)认为 this and that.

So, it's " 人们普通认同 '大多数人都认为南方人很友善' ". :-D

Or it's "人们普通认同南方人很友善(的看法)".

The second sentence means different. It's more objective and seems to be stating the fact. So it's "南方人的普遍特征是他们很友善".

• iciba:general consensus:框架共识 ...网络: 普遍的共识;普遍共识;一般的共识;5sample sentences iciba 翻译:most people agree:大多数人都同意 相关例句: 1. Most people agree that Rolex are top of the line. 大多数人都认为劳力士表为表中精品. – user6065 Jun 12 '15 at 8:47

Consider 舆论

Oxford

NOUN

public opinion

制造舆论

fabricate public opinion

国际舆论

international opinion

舆论导向

direction toward which people's opinion is guided

加强舆论监督

strengthen measures to ensure that the correct orientation is maintained in public opinion

舆论哗然

there is a public outcry

他们进行宣传, 为他们的候选人造舆论。

They used publicity to prepare public opinion for their candidates.

use 刻板印象 (stereotypes).

我们有南方人都很友善的刻板印象/我們有南方人都很友善的刻板印象. ( We have the stereotype that... )

• Nah I wouldn't use 刻板 here. It means stiff, inflexible. – golddc Jun 12 '15 at 7:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.