This question already has an answer here:

I'm on an Android 4.4.2 device but solutions for PCs and Macs will be welcome too. I am using the default Samsung keyboard on the Samsung Galaxy SIII Neo.

When I entrer the characters "shu" I get 书 and another bunch of entries. I want my keyboard to allow me to filter some of these out by tone. Fshor example, by entering "shu3", where 3 indicates the fourth, falling tone, the keyboard, as i am asking for this feature, would display only the characters corresponding to pinyin "shù" and omit shū, shú, shû). So then by typing shu4 I only need scroll less and select 术.

Is there a keyboard out there which provides the improved pinyin method I describe?

marked as duplicate by Drunken Master, songyuanyao, Thomas Hsieh, NS.X., Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 23 '15 at 20:12

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• Modern Pinyin IMEs are actually quite good when you type text, that is not just single words but context, i.e. don't type character by character, but type out phrases, your IME will make quite good guesses, e.g. yikeshu --> 一棵树, yibenshu --> 一本书. Actually, check a similar topic, you might get an answer here: chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/31/… – Drunken Master Jun 18 '15 at 13:55
  • Also, check your IME settings, you might be have an option to enable tone based input. – Drunken Master Jun 18 '15 at 13:56
  • Thank you for your answer. The truth is that I am just a beginner and often need to mix Chinese with English. What keyboard have settings to enable tone based input, and do they work as I described or diffetently? – user100380 Jun 18 '15 at 14:01
  • What is your OS and what IME (publisher/software development company) are you using? – Drunken Master Jun 18 '15 at 16:34
  • Google's IME is pretty good-- – doufu Jun 18 '15 at 18:26

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.