Looking for poems about ungratefulness.

Found some recommendations on 百度知道 under the question: 关于自己忘恩负义的诗词; especially the poem《氓》- wondering what else is out there.

• What poems are there about ungratefulness?
    ctext.org might be useful - can search in 全唐詩 for phrases like "忘恩"? Or are you asking about bits of poems that achieved 成語 status? – Master Sparkles Jun 23 '15 at 19:50

This one about forgetting the help which you once relied on to succeed. More readings: 教育百科 奇摩知識

筌者所以在魚,得魚而忘筌;蹄者所以在兔,得兔而忘蹄;言者所以在意,得意而忘言。 《莊子·外物》

If you are interested in fable prose as well, 《中山狼傳》is a pretty good one. As a matter of fact, 《紅樓夢》once quotes 《中山狼傳》to describe ungratefulness. More readings: 詩詞網 百度百科 互動百科 奇摩知識

子系中山狼,得志便猖狂。金閨花柳質,一載赴黃粱。《紅樓夢》

i've never seen that first quote be used in reference to ungratefulness - i thought it was a philosophical meditation concerning the relationship between words and ideas (i.e., words are mere tools to convey ideas ; these words can be discarded/forgotten once they've served their purpose). Can you provide an example of use where it implies "ungratefulness"? – Master Sparkles Jun 23 '15 at 19:46
    You are right, the very original meaning is not about ungratefulness. But the phrase 得魚忘筌 which is from this quote now mostly refer to ungratefulness. See the 教育部成語典 dict.idioms.moe.edu.tw/cgi-bin/cydic/… "亦用來比喻人在達到目的成功後就忘掉賴以成功的手段或憑藉物,有背義忘恩之意。" – leo4jc Jun 23 '15 at 20:21
  • I had no idea it could be used that way! Thank you for the clarification. – Master Sparkles Jun 23 '15 at 20:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.