They all mean "otherwise", and beyond that 要不 is more colloquially used I'm not sure how they differ in usage or meaning.

• The only thing I can add is that 否则 is bit more formal/literary than the others. – Drunken Master Jun 24 '15 at 11:47
    "实用汉语近义虚词词典"不然(连)/否则(连)/要不(连)[不同]I。"不然、否则"可以跟"的话"合用,"要不"不能:1。快让张阳上场,不然的话,我们就输了。(否则✓要不✕)2。不能再乱花钱了,不然的话,这个月的钱肯定不够用了。(否则✓要不✕)3。别闹了!否则的话,我就不客气了。(不然✓要不✕)II。"不然、否则"后面可以跟"就是。。。"的判断句。"要不"不能:1。我们应该好好学习,不然就是浪费时间和金钱。(否则✓要不✕)2。你一定要收下这个礼物,否则就是看不起我。(不然✓要不✕)III。"不然、要不"还可以引出别一种选择或可能性,表示一种建议或判断,相当于"要不然";"否则"没有这种用法:1。他们可能出去吃饭了,不然就是去散步了。(要不✓否则✕)2。你可以坐地铁去,不然坐公共汽车去也行。(要不✓否则✕)3。今天是周末,阵兰可能去打排球了,要不就是爬山了。(不然✓否则✕)3。你去找张阳吧,要不去找王飞,他们俩都会修电脑。(不然✓否则✕)iciba has these examples for 不然 not so ; not the case。Actually this is not so.其实不然。No, it's not as simple as that.不然, 事情没有那样简单。(not interchangeable with the others) – user6065 Jun 24 '15 at 13:14
    @S.Rhee You should make that an answer. – NS.X. Jun 24 '15 at 17:04
  • comments are easier to write, 写评论比写回复要容易得多, – user6065 Jun 25 '15 at 5:06

否则 is often time more formal and comes across as more strongly worded (directly admonishing the listener). Much like saying "you need to do X, otherwise/if not, Y will happen (as a consequence)."

E.g., 今天你必须来参加会议,否则后果自负

要不 comes across as the softest (has the same as either/or, in the same manner as a suggestion), but it might the nuance of sounding as if one is being admonished, depending on the context. Much like saying "you (either) need to do X, or Y might happen."

E.g., 今天你必须来参加会议,要不老板会生气的

However, note that 要不 is (more commonly) used to as a way to directly or indirectly ask the listener for consent (based on the context it's used). Seeing the 吧 typically will indicate that this is a suggestion.

E.g., 一个人看电影没意思,要不我们俩一起去看吧.

不然 is often used when you want to assert a matter of fact (typically in a neutral manner), the manner of speaking is probably somewhere between 否则 and 要不 in terms of strength. Much like saying "you need to do X otherwise Y might happen."

E.g., 今天你必须来参加会议,不然老板会生气的

要不然 is a about the same as 要不, but in a bit stronger tone than 要不. Much like saying "you need to do X, or otherwise/or else Y might happen." In my opinion, 要不然 can be used interchangeably with 要不, but only in when used in the context of "otherwise."

E.g., 今天你必须来参加会议,要不然老板会生气的

Let me clarify it a bit:

1. 否则. 否=not(negative), 则=then. 否则=if not then.

2. 要不然(要不 and 不然 are simplified forms of it). 要不=要是不=if not. 然=like this/that.

So there are almost no difference. You can switch one by another in modern Chinese. 要不然 is weaker than 否则 in general.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.