What is the role of 清楚 in this sentence? Could they have written '核实得清楚‘ = 'verify clearly' or does ‘清楚‘ somehow work with '拖欠‘ = verify (the property) is clear of arrears.

I suppose it doesn't affect the meaning much either way. I just had a feeling it might not be a straightforward '核实(得)清楚‘。

The choices I see are:

核实清楚 verify clearly

清楚拖欠 be clear of arrears

女:在签订二手房买卖合同时,一定要注意签订书面合同,核实清楚物业费、水费、煤气费‘电话费等与房屋有关的费用是否存在拖欠,在合同中要注明卖方迁出户口的期限,要注意保留好收据。

清楚 here is resultant complement for 核实 instead of adverbial, so the literal meaning is 'verify clear' (verify towards a clear result, think 'make clear') instead of 'verify clearly'.

If you have to insert 的/地/得, it should be 得 i.e. 核实得清楚, but that changes the sentence from imperative to declarative.

It's really just a figure of speech to emphasize 核实, as opposed to carry some actual meaning. The previous sentence '一定要注意...' is similar in that regard, by using 一定 to emphasize 注意.

• Aha, thanks, so we have 核实清楚 = make sure (that) there are no XXX arrears. 'make sure' being an imperative too. – Pedroski Jun 27 '15 at 3:29
  • @Pedroski Yes. "Verify clear that ..." in the exact same sense of "make sure that ...". – NS.X. Jun 27 '15 at 3:33

You are right, 清楚 is used to modify 核实 and not 拖欠. "Be clear of arrears" is not “清楚拖欠” but "无拖欠". However, adding 得 to 核实清楚 is not appropriate, since this sentence is an imperative, and 得 would make the sentence sound like a declarative statements, as in "being able to verify clearly."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.