In Analects, chapter 4, 「吾日三省吾身 為人謀而不忠乎? 與朋友交而不信乎? 傳不習乎?」

I would translate it: Master Ceng said: everyday I check three things in myself: do I plan my behavior without loyalty? do I make friends without confidence/trust (or deserving confidence - sincerity)? do I propagate (disseminate) the Practice.

James Legge (who is extremely competent in it) translates the last lines differently: whether I may have not mastered and practiced the instructions of my teacher.

Am I wrong that 傳 is about dissemination?

• OT: We taught 論語 back then when I was in school (9th grade). This line is my favorite and I still remember it decades later!! :) – leo4jc Jun 30 '15 at 16:39

朱熹四書章句集注 「傳,謂受之於師。習,謂熟之於己。」

So means what you've received from your Master. James Legge's translation seems right.

Yes, there're two comprehendings. The point is 曾子's identity, as a student of 孔子, or as a teacher (when he became elder) ?

Basically I prefer to James Legge's translation, here 曾子 is supposed to be a student, and means (the things) teached/passed on from the teacher.

If you think when 曾子 said these words he has become a teacher by himself, your understanding is reasonable too, even thouth I think it's more accurate to translate as teach/pass on, so the whole sentence should be Do I think twice and practice to check my thought/knowledge before I pass on them to others?

Reference:
“传不习乎”啥意思?
第二则 曾子曰:“吾日三省(xǐng)吾身:为人谋而不忠乎?与朋友交而不信乎?传不习乎?”(《学而》)

BTW: Some additional remarks about the translation of the first two sentence:

为人谋 means plan/do sth for others.
means elaborate/try one's best here.
means to be credible.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.