What does this mean: ? It's in traditional form, because that is what appeared when I copied and pasted an emoji from Gmail into Gchat. I don't have a traditional dictionary, so I looked up what I figured should be the simplified version: 艹 on top of 领. Can anyone help me?

谢谢!

Could you provide a picture? It doesn't render in my browser, and when cutting and pasting into Unihan and such, it resolves to the codepoint U+F604, which is "not in unihan" and "not a valid unicode character". – Stumpy Joe Pete Jul 1 '15 at 3:33
  • Figured it might be a SunmanPUA character, but doesn't seem like it...I guess someone could copy this into gChat and see for themselves, or look up what PUA google uses for it's junk – user3306356 Jul 1 '15 at 5:30

Is it ?

enter image description here

《集韻》同苓。又良郢切,音領。草名

means

According to Jiyun, same as . And pronounced as 良郢切, i.e. . (良郢切 means the combination of the initial consonant of (liang) and the vowel of (ying), i.e. l + ing = ling. It's grass' name.

http://www.zdic.net/z/12/kx/4558.htm

And

líng ㄌㄧㄥˊ

1. 指“茯苓”。
 2. 古书上说的一种植物。
 3. 古同“零”,零落。

means

1. poria cocos
  2. a kind of plant in ancient books
  3. same as 零, withered and fallen
  • That is the character, but I'm afraid the site you linked to is beyond my level of Chinese. Presumably "同苓" means that it's the same meaning as "苓," and "音領" means that it sounds like "領" (or am I wrong?). What do "《集韻》... 又良郢切 ... 草名" mean? Does "草名" refer to the grass radical? Thank you! – MissMonicaE Jul 1 '15 at 14:21
  • @MissMonicaE 集韻 is an ancient book. I've added some explanations. – songyuanyao Jul 1 '15 at 15:21
    The real question, though, is: in what PUA font is 䕘 U+F604? – user3306356 Jul 1 '15 at 15:24
  • @user3306356 Sorry I have not idea about that.. – songyuanyao Jul 1 '15 at 15:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.