I want to say:

You still have a long way to go, wish you have a memorable secondary school career

And here's my translation to Chinese:

來日方長, 希望你有個難忘的中學生涯

I'm wondering if it is correct to use 來日方長 here?

It's based on your intention. 来日方长 usually used for the two situations, if you want to tell sb that

1. There's still time to do sth
  2. Need not to hurry in doing sth now

现代汉语词典(第五版):未来的日还很长,表示事有可为,或劝人不必急于做某事。

I actually want to tell sb he still have a long way to go, [你還有很長的路要走] (i.e. not these 2), then is this a correct use...? – User2012384 Jul 14 '15 at 3:52
  • @User2012384 If there's not an explicit object of doing sth, it's a little weird, even though the whole sentence could be understood without confused. If you want to bless sb, you can use 前程远大 etc. – songyuanyao Jul 14 '15 at 5:50

"来日方长" is similar to "take your time""no hurry". And we do not use "来日方长" a lot in spoken Chinese.

• oh really...?! I though very often we use "來日方長"0.0... – User2012384 Jul 14 '15 at 5:26
    instead of "来日方长", we use expressions like "慢慢来"“别着急” more often. – speakupchinese.com Jul 14 '15 at 5:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.