What are the correct Chinese words to use for the following:

  • Vote-up
  • Vote-down
  • Vote to close

I assume these will have been included in certain social platforms in China.

1 Answer 1


Usually you would use:

(投)赞成(票) Vote-up

(投)反对(票) Vote-down

投关闭票 Vote to close

However, when used on internet, especially sites like SE, probably the following is more suitable:

顶 - literally means bump (Vote-up)

踩 - literally means tread (Vote-down)

叉 - literally means X (cross), have the implication of closing. (Vote to close)

  • how about 叉(cha1)?
    – Huang
    Commented Dec 14, 2011 at 10:07
  • @Huang Usually vote-up and vote-down should be a pair. What would you use for vote-up if you use 叉 for vote-down? Maybe 勾? :)
    – StarCub
    Commented Dec 14, 2011 at 10:10
  • sorry,I mean to use 叉 for "vote to close", so that we use a single character for every choice. I think this looks prettier.
    – Huang
    Commented Dec 14, 2011 at 10:17
  • @Huang I agree. I've edited the answer. Thanks. :)
    – StarCub
    Commented Dec 14, 2011 at 10:44
  • 3
    We also use 推 for vote-up and 噓 for vote-down in Taiwan, due to the largest BBS site (PTT) we have. Commented Dec 14, 2011 at 14:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.