For example, 'shuo' is sometimes mistakenly pronounced 'shou'. 'Juan' is often pronounced 'zhuan'. 

Can anyone think of any others? I want to highlight some common mistakes to teach pinyin pronunciation.

• Are you asking for a list of "common" mistakes? Apart from the fact that list questions are not the kind of questions we actually want (especially open-ended lists), how do we know which mistakes are the most common? We'd need to agree on some standard resource, or some method to choose them. – Alenanno Mar 22 '12 at 0:30
  • This question is too subjective unless a proper source is provided. Personally I don't mistakenly pronounce "shuo" but often confuse "cu" and "shu", but that's just me, and it's irrelevant to a Q&A website. – laurent Mar 22 '12 at 4:47
    This question has been closed as too subjective. This is more based on personal experiences. – going Mar 22 '12 at 9:40
  • Juan is often confused with zhuan. Pinyin words which begin with j, x, q follow different rules that most other words. Just wondered if there were any others which were common. – jaffa Mar 23 '12 at 20:11

For people from south China, the following may be confused:

z / zh
c / ch
s / sh
n / l
l / r

Many Pinyin input methods include "fuzzy pronounciations", a feature that automatically matches these confusable pronounciations. For example, if you input zui, the results will also include all characters of zhui.

The Google Pinyin input method uses this list:

z / zh
c / ch
s / sh
an / ang
en / eng
in / ing
l / n
f / h
r / l
k / g
ian / iang
uan / uang
| improve this answer | |
  • Well google obviously knows some of the mistakes. Useful, thanks. – jaffa Mar 23 '12 at 20:08

ng=> mg

zh=> ch

ch=> zh

?n=> ?ng

zhu??=>qu??

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.