How to translate 'operational' and 'strategic' in Chinese? The best match I've found is '操作' and '战略', but would they be correct in a phrase like:

Operational and strategic business decisions

EDIT

Context the word pair to be used in:

BI can be used to support a wide range of business decisions ranging from operational to strategic

iciba has plenty of example sentences and definitions for "operational", as well as "strategic" 爱词霸为两个形容词提供大量的例句和定义 – user6065 Jul 23 '15 at 14:09

I think the most appropriate translation for "operational" is 运营. for example, “the day-to-day operational aspect of the business” can be translated as 公司每天运营方面。。。or for example Chief Operating Office is commonly translated as 首席运营官

Those two words typically come up together in a business context.

operational 运营的 strategic 战略的

Remind: these are only in a business or similar context. In others, the translation does subtly change a little.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "operational". I've often heard a distinction made between "strategic" and "tactical" decion-making. If you are looking for that kind of distinction, 操作 may not be a good choice. One way I've heard people try to express it is 策略 and 戰術. It doesn't feel very natural to me, but in some cases it might work: 布局要有策略,進攻要有戰術 or something like that. Have you tried looking in 孫子兵法? Bet he has some way of expressing this.

• Thanks, but 策略 is a noun, more like 计划,计策,as you see – Ivan Gerasimenko Jul 23 '15 at 17:59

In a business context, 作战 seems inappropriate for "operational", unless you are really wanting that military tinge. I would suggest 业务 as a counterpoint to 战略 as in the following from http://wiki.mbalib.com/wiki/战略管理:

业务层战略着眼于企业中某一具体业务单元的市场和竞争状况,相对于总体战略有一定的独立性,同时又是企业战略体系的组成部分。

An operations-level strategy focuses on the market and competitive status of a certain, specific operational unit within the enterprise, and has a certain indepdence vis-a-vis an overall strategy, while at the same time forming a part of the enterprise's strategic apparatus.

• Ok, I'm agree about military tinge of 作战, but 业务 is not the word we need here "operational - happening in the nearest future", 业务 sounds more like "business, occupation" – Ivan Gerasimenko Jul 23 '15 at 21:09
  • it can mean that- it can also mean operation/al . Can you help us out with context? – Master Sparkles Jul 23 '15 at 23:03
  • Yes, context is added – Ivan Gerasimenko Jul 24 '15 at 5:45
  • I still think 业务 is your best choice: m.jiemian.com/article/294778.html - 持股方并不参与决策,战略决策由3位董事决定,而所有业务方面的决策都由陈旭东和他带领的团队来完成,“神奇工场我本人也出了一部分钱,完全是 ... – Master Sparkles Jul 24 '15 at 10:33

Thanks to @S.Rhee, I've found an answer:

• 作战 - operational (in context of time)
  • 战略 - strategic

EDIT

As it was mentioned by @MasterSparkles 作战 has military tingle, so perhaps it's not good to use in business context.

• please accept your own answer if you found yours helpful – Daniel Cheung Aug 8 '15 at 9:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.