I realize that it is fairly easy to Google it but I'd never know how to pronounce it. Are there any audio recordings out there?

Mandarin

你会说汉语吗? (Ni3 hui4 shuo1 han4 yu3 ma5)

Or polite form: 您会说汉语吗?(Nin2 hui4 shuo1 han4 yu3 ma5)

Of course, you can say 中文 (zhong1 wen2) instead of 汉语. That is not the big question here, but rather that you have to include 会, which underlines that you ask if the person you are speaking to, can speak Chinese or not. Only asking 你说汉语吗? is not sufficient, it means "Do you use Chinese (in general)?, e.g. 你家里说中文吗? Do you speak Chinese at home? (what is being asked is not the ability, but the fact if Chinese is spoken or not.)

Cantonese
你識唔識講中文啊? (Nei5/Lei5 sik1 m4 sik1 gong2 zung1 man4 aa3, I am using Jyutping here, but Yale is a similar transcription).

If you want to ask "Do you speak Chinese?" in Cantonese, you ask Chinese (中文), not Cantonese. I really don't understand why one would think Cantonese is not Chinese. So ask for 中文 not 廣東話. If you want to ask if someone specifically can speak Cantonese, then use 廣東話.

Notes:

(1) The Mandarin text uses simplified characters, as most Mandarin speakers use these, the Cantonese question uses the traditional ones, as most Cantonese speakers who are familiar with writing Cantonese are Hongkongers, who use traditional characters, but simplified characters are used by Cantonese native Mainland Chinese who can read and write Cantonese or at least have some experience with it.

(2) The Cantonese pronunciation is difficult to transcribe, there is a difference between Mainland Cantonese and Hong Kong Cantonese, e.g. 你 begins with 'l-' in "lazy speech", i.e. casual Hong Kong Cantonese, but 'n-' is a more formal, "proper" sound, especially used in the Mainland.

(3) The word "Chinese (language)" has many equivalents in (Mandarin) Chinese, all differ in some way.

• 汉语, the language of the Han
  • 中文, the (written) language of the Chinese civilization
  • 华语, Chinese as the language of Overseas Chinese, whether Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, or any other dialect, as contrasted to the non-Chinese languages, like English, Malay or Thai, etc.
  • 中国话, less used, means "the (spoken) language of China".
  • 国语, ("national language"), i.e. Mandarin Chinese, this expression is mostly used outside the PRC
  • 普通话 ("general language"), also Mandarin Chinese (or sometimes called Standard Chinese), this word is used in the PRC, which promotes Mandarin Chinese and discourages speaking dialects in public.
  • 官话 ("official language"), Mandarin Chinese, this word has historic connotations, the Ming and Qing-dynasties, under which the Northern dialects gained the status of official language of the administration and the "Mandarins".

So I'll just tell you the pinyin for the mandarin:

你说中文吗? (Do you speak Chinese?) ni2 shuo1 zhong1 wen2 ma?

Or if you want to be specific:

你说普通话吗? (Do you speak Mandarin?) ni2 shuo1 pu2 tong1 hua4 ma?

But the pinyin of Cantonese is very complicated. It has 6 tones and a lot of weird symbols and stuff so I'll just give you the sentence:

你係咪講中文架? (Do you speak Chinese?)

• Can you understand Cantonese: 你識唔識聽廣東話? – user3306356 Jul 28 '15 at 8:49
    Well "聽" means listen and the OP is not asking about listening. You can say 你識唔識講廣東話? – Sweeper Jul 28 '15 at 8:51
  • changed it to understand, good catch – user3306356 Jul 28 '15 at 8:52
  • 你说中文吗? is not what is meant here. When we ask "Do you speak X?" we mean "Can you speak X?". We are not asking if someone is speaking X at the moment or uses X in general. – Drunken Master Jul 28 '15 at 9:08
  • Also 廣東話 is not "Chinese". Generally, if a Cantonese speaker wanted to say that they speak English and Chinese, they would use 英文 and 中文, because Cantonese is also Chinese, so no Cantonese speaker would say: "I don't speak Chinese, I speak Cantonese". – Drunken Master Jul 28 '15 at 9:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.