I actually want a tongue twister for practice. But I want one that could be a Chinese sentence. Is the following at all acceptable as way to say "This is the 'seek truth through facts' rock"?

这就是实事求是的石.

By that I mean the rock on the Renmin University campus with the motto 实事求是.

On line I find nearly this, but always with 石额 or some other noun complement to 石. Can I possibly do without that, or is 石 too much of a bound morpheme to allow that?

• gmw.cn/01gmrb/2008-01/09/content_720360.htm with picture of rock, only has 石 occurring 3 times: 巨石,石头,巨石, source for 石额? – user6065 Aug 1 '15 at 6:10
    石 may be too much of a bound morpheme for the suggested 名词短语 to be easily understood without context – user6065 Aug 1 '15 at 6:34
  • @user6065 Actually 巨石 is better for my purposes. Thanks. Anyway one source for 额 is gov.cn/jrzg/2007-09/26/content_762128.htm referring to an earlier inscription in Yan'an. – Colin McLarty Aug 1 '15 at 6:47

You can try this to challenge your tongue.
四是四,十是十;十四是十四,四十是四十

Good luck with your tongue!

It's okay grammatically, but not very challenging.

粗俗書生私下心想,「石上書寫『實事求是』四字似是敘寫世上數億心上思想,實屬喜事!」

• Well, I thought of it for a thirteen year old just beginning Mandarin. Maybe I'll work with yours! – Colin McLarty Aug 1 '15 at 6:56
  • ack, don't! 實屬喜事 alone left psychic scars on me that still haven't healed... – wpt Aug 1 '15 at 7:11
    Then go with "吃葡萄不吐葡萄皮"--tongue twister level 1... – Meruemu Aug 3 '15 at 17:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.