Here's a pic I took in HK today

What's the 刄 + 点 char? In

堂飲2 xxxxxxx 28元

I'm guessing its similar to mainlands 两, for alcoholic drink sizes.

I tried zisea & zdic to no avail...

edit: is it this: 𠂐? http://www.zdic.net/z/84/wy/20090.htm It's the closest thing I can find

• The description "刄 + 点" had me totally baffled. But the unusual character still stood out enough (-: – hippietrail Aug 16 '15 at 3:27
  • I want to forge such characters, they never be used anymore, only few of elder people still use them, they are not standardized glyph. – Daniel Yeung Apr 19 '17 at 3:59

Yes, it is indeed a variant of 两. You can see it listed here in the Dictionary of Chinese Character Variants 《異體字字典》:

http://dict2.variants.moe.edu.tw/variants/rbt/word_attribute.rbt?educode=A00284

A00284

As for why they've chosen to write it this way, I'm not sure.

• Is this Unicode? – user3306356 Aug 14 '15 at 17:49
  • I couldn't find it in Unicode. – Claw Aug 14 '15 at 18:38
    I will note that it does look like the left-hand component of , which is noted as being , which is a variant of . The similarity appears only to be superficial though and is unrelated to its usage as a variant of 两 though. – Claw Aug 15 '15 at 0:28
    Zisea has it here: zisea.com/zscontent.asp?uni=181468 with no additional information at all – user3306356 Aug 15 '15 at 5:44

Like @Claw pointed out. This is the variant of 两.

Unlike Latin characters, Chinese characters are graph-like characters. So it's easy to create a brand new character to describe the same thing.

In the China history, Ordinary people could use whatever characters they want as long as they could identify them. Even though government introduced several dictionaries to standardized, there is no strict law to forbid using variants of character.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.