I know that "underground palace" can be a translation of "地宮", but I'm not too sure on the "correct" translation.

Seeing some pictures on baike, "underground palace" doesn't really seem to fit what the pictures depict.

From what I see, I think that something like "underground maze" would suit it better, stemming from "迷宮". However, with the English translation of "underground palace", should the "palace" then not be taken literally as a "palace"? I'm a bit confused since from the pictures, "地宮" seems to be more like an "underground tomb" than a "palace".

• 迷宮 "underground maze" is labyrinth – user6065 Sep 2 '15 at 16:55
  • It depends on the contexts. – Henry HO Sep 3 '15 at 14:38

Without the context its kind of hard to know which definition you're looking for, but Oxford gives us two definitions with explanations:

NOUN

1 地下陵墓 tomb chamber

Underground tomb/mausoleum

2 地下藏经室 underground shrine housing Buddhist relics

Buddhist sutras collection room

how about tomb palace? it is indeed a tomb

If you talk about games there are many games named that as "Dungeon".

If we go along the definition found in the Baike link you provided:

...为安放死者棺椁的地方。... 

then we could probably use "burial chamber" as used in similar structures inside a pyramid.

Sketch showing pyramid interior structure: http://www.ancient-egypt.org/_v3d/topography/giza/khefren/map3d.gif

That said, it seems to me that the literal translation of "underground palace" is a valid and quite poetic rendering in English and might be better in certain contexts.

I think that crypt is what you want.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.