When I look up 本质 I get English meanings like 'essence, nature, innate character', esoteric stuff like that.

学习必须讲究方法,而改进学习方法的本质目的,就是要提高学习效率。

I think 本质 here actually means 主要, 最初 and 本质目的 is 'primary aim'.

Could I use 主要 here instead of 本质 and not affect the original meaning?

• I think you are looking for the word "fundamental" – sotondolphin Sep 8 '15 at 17:00

本质 here means root; ultimate.

本质目的 = end goal. You can also say 根本目的.

Your sentence sounds fine but isn't the best example to demonstrate usage, because it's kind of obvious. A better example might be:

商业活动的本质目的是盈利。The end goal for any commercial activity is making profit.

| improve this answer | |
  • Would you accept 本质目的 as 'main aim'? – Pedroski Sep 4 '15 at 2:50
    @Pedroski 本质 means 'essential/substantial', which is a bit different from 'main'. 'Main aim' is 主要目的. – user58955 Sep 4 '15 at 3:05

I would translate it as "essential".

"Essential/本质/根本" is like you peel an onion. "Ultimate/终极" is like you go along the way and reach somewhere eventually. "Primary/主要" is like you have a few rocks and you want the biggest one.

Well the onion example may be inappropriate because there isn't a core and it's always the same when you peel it, but nothing pops into my mind at the moment...

Let's say "essential" is like you peel a chestnut. Hmm this is better.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.