I think the following sentence has the topic-comment structure, but I'm not entirely sure if there is another grammar principle underlying it that I'm not seeing. The sentence is:

你家孩子真多!

I think the topic is 你家, with the rest being the comment. Is this right?

Thanks!

• which grammars talk about topic-comment structure? some(e。g。"外国人实用汉语语法")talk about "sentences with an S-P Phrase as the Predicate" (主谓谓语句)主谓谓词句基本格式是:(一)主语--谓语[主谓词组:"主"--"谓"]他-身体 好。兔子-尾巴 短。这个士兵-胸部 受伤了。(二)主语--谓语[主谓词组:"主"--"谓"(及物动词)--"宾"(数量词组)]《汉语词典》-我 有 一本。这种上衣--小王 做了 一件。more complete discussion in "实用现代汉语语法"第四编 句法(中) 单句 第三节 主谓谓语句 由主谓短语作谓语的句子叫做主谓谓语句,这是汉语特有的一种句子。为了区别全句的主语、谓语和谓语中的主语、谓语,我们把前者称为大主语、大谓语,后者称为小主语、小谓语。大主语和小主语之间存在一定的关系。主谓谓语句的谓语主要是说明或者描写主语的,即主谓谓语句是一种说明或描写的句子。一、主谓谓语句中大小主语的意义关系 主谓谓语句的小主语或表示大主语所表示的事物的一部分,或表示大主语所表示的事物的属性。 – user6065 Oct 3 '15 at 7:12
  • 例如:1。他头疼,嗓子还有点儿红。2金沙江水急浪大。3这一带土地肥沃,山水秀丽。4新来的副经理年龄不大,办事能力很强。5那个房间里的一伙人,说的说,笑的笑,可热闹了。6这种汽车性能好,样子美观,价格适宜。7小王体重七十一公斤,身高一米七二。8他学习努力,工作积极。9北京的农业发展也很迅速。例1~3小主语表示的事物是大主语所表示的事物的一个组成部分;例4~7小主语表示大主语所表示的事物的某一方面特性,如年龄、性格、态度、心理状态、长(高)度、重量、体积、式样、颜色、性能、用途等等。例8,9的小主语也是从某一侧面说明大主语所表示的事物的,所不同的是小主语都是动词或动词短语充任的。再如:1新出版的《学汉字》一套三本。2这本书一页几百字?这本书一页七百多字。上述句子小主语和小谓语是数量词,小主语所表示的事物也是大主语所表示的事物的一部分。例1大主语是"新出版的《学汉字》","一套"是小主语,是大主语《学汉字》的一部分。例2大主语是"这本书",小主语是"一页",二者显然是整体和部分的关系。3A:这种型号的计算机一台多少钱?B:一台八千五百块钱。这个句子也可以说成:A:这种型号的计算机多少钱一台?:B:八千五百块钱一台。小主语与大主语所表示的事物存在部分与整体的关系。 – user6065 Oct 3 '15 at 7:12
  • cf。Chinese A Comprehensive Grammar 19 Telescopic Constructions documents.routledge-interactive.s3.amazonaws.com/… (uses the term topic-comment sentence [主谓;话题说明句] and "伸缩式结构" are there Chinese grammars of Chinese using these terms?) – user6065 Oct 3 '15 at 21:47

It’s a topic-comment structure, but exactly what the topic is is open to interpretation.

It might be “你家”. In that case a rough English version would be:

Your home – how many children there are here!

Or it could be “你家孩子” meaning:

The children in your home – there are so many of them!

Which one to choose depends on context. If you heard this spoken, there might be intonational clues, e.g. a pause after the topic.

• Is a comma unnecessary then with topic-comment sentences? That is, it doesn't nee to be: 你家孩子, 真多! – amorimluc Oct 4 '15 at 1:12
  • I don't think you can add a comma there. – neubau Oct 4 '15 at 1:18
  • 2nd suggestion has 你家孩子 as subject and 真多 as predicate, so it would simply be an S-P phrase, OP's identical with 1st suggestion of answer fits definition of topic-comment structure or 主谓谓语句. It may also be worth noting that iciba's 2 examples in 句库 for 你家孩子 translate both as "your child", this and examples with 的 might suggest that 你家的孩子 might be the more likely equivalent for "your children" (孩子们 ruled out b/c of 多?) – user6065 Oct 4 '15 at 8:49

sure you could think this way, but then it would imply that for phrase like "你人真好". with 你 being topic 人真好 being comment.

• I do think the topic in 你人真好 is 你; but the topic in 你家孩子真多 is 你家孩子 – user58955 Oct 3 '15 at 4:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.