Started reading this article this morning: 为抢红包,小伙跳楼威逼母亲买iPhone6s but couldn't get past the first word:

酗逼母亲买6s,为此不惜以跳楼威胁。

[emphasis is my own]

酗逼 appears again in the following sentence:

前几天媒体刚曝出马来西亚一女孩为买iPhone导致其母亲跪在大商场求其别买,没想到现在重庆也有一酗逼母亲买6s,因为他嫌iPhone4S抢红包速度太慢,无奈其母亲每月1000多元的退休金实在买不起,他就在家里闹着要跳楼,其父身在外地求助警察,后经警察劝解,他认识到自己错误,离开了要跳楼的窗台,主动向母亲道了歉,并保证以后不再作出这样冲动的举动。

I can't make heads nor tails of this word

A baidu search only gives the same article back for using the exact word 酗逼, everything else just returns things like 酗酒逼...

The article has nothing to do with liquor or the like.

I've got to guess it's a total mistake. Probably the author thought he was writing xiong bi and not xu bi anyway.

• What was the writer going for with '酗逼'?
    酗 is Pinyin typo for 小伙? – NS.X. Oct 18 '15 at 8:34
  • Perhaps it should read 需逼? Characters often slip like that. – user4452 Oct 18 '15 at 10:34
  • yueyu.tongbu.com/86031.html Seems like NS.X. is correct. – cpplearner Oct 18 '15 at 10:58
  • cqtimes.cn/roll/20151014/78154.shtml These news website just keep copying each other... – cpplearner Oct 18 '15 at 11:04
    @AbdulAlHazred 抢 also means 'rush; fight for front position'. 抢 in 抢红包 means to be the first few people who click the button and claim the money. – NS.X. Oct 18 '15 at 19:42

Literally, 酗 means drinking alcohol and getting drunk, 逼,force someone to do sth. I saw this word in some Classical Chinese text, but I don't think people use this word regularly. So, I suspect this could be typo.

• why is the meaning "drinking alcohol and getting drunk" ? could it also be used for "drinking alcohol without getting drunk " ? is it used only as a verb or as noun and adjective ? – Abdul Al Hazred Oct 18 '15 at 14:36
    This is a meaning from a Chinese dictionary, means drinking without control; bacchanal. This character regularly with 酒 alcohol. – Mery Oct 18 '15 at 14:53
  • perfect, we call it "komasaufen" in germany. – Abdul Al Hazred Oct 18 '15 at 14:58

maybe you need to pay more attention to 酗

酗 originally means drink to much, and act insane after drinking. So it has a meaning of too much/over and insane. 逼means force or heavily ask for. So 酗逼means over-force insane. As described in the topic, the young guy force parents to buy iPhone in a insane way

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.