Malcom X once said:

You can't hate the roots of a tree and not hate the tree. You can't hate Africa and not hate yourself.

It is a fairly well known quote.

• Are there any “official” translations of this quote? (Not Google translate, etc.)
  • iciba (official?): 你不能恨一棵树的根,而不恨树。你不能恨非洲,也不恨自己。 – user6065 Oct 19 '15 at 3:20
  • Only official statements, such as government regulations and UN statements, get official translations. Maybe you meant to ask whether there is any already published translation? – Colin McLarty Oct 20 '15 at 14:17
  • well known example of "official translation":阿拉伯语: لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله‎ 罗马化: lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muḥammadun rasūlu-llāh 中文翻译: “万物非主,唯有真主。穆罕默德,是主使者。 – user6065 Oct 20 '15 at 14:48

Such sayings have their culture background and only Malcom X himself could tell whether a translation is right or not.

"背祖忘宗" or "數典忘祖" may carry a similar meaning but does not have the same context. Not to say creative translations like "惱根怎可不惱樹, 厭鄉也該厭自己".

• Or even shorter: 惱根該惱樹, 厭鄉當厭己 – Henry HO Oct 21 '15 at 16:19

I think should be

你不能恨一棵树的根,而不恨树。你不能恨非洲,不恨自己。

It's literal translation, I don't know whether there is a more elegant way like translated into Chinese idiom.

I think there are many chinese saying

• 人穷怪屋基、屋漏怪瓦稀
  • 人醜不要怪父母,人窮不要怪政府
  • Different meanings. Not a translation of, said, quote by any means. – user3306356 Oct 21 '15 at 5:15
  • I think @user3306356 you are not a chinese? This is a very good translation. – Fred Oct 22 '15 at 14:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.