I am told that this seal stamp character(s) are from the Chinese dialect, though I got it from my Japanese grandmother. She had it made and gave it to me. I was told it says 'strong and smart' and also resembles my name 'Matthew'.

I have not been able to find the characters that are shown on the stamp, and do not know either language well. Can someone help me with what the characters say and mean, or where to find them, along with anything else?

enter image description here

closed as off-topic by Claw, user4452, NS.X., user3306356, songyuanyao Nov 11 '15 at 1:25

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – Claw, Community, NS.X., user3306356, songyuanyao
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The stamp with seal scripts of Chinese reads 麥菲 (mài fēi), which indeed transliterates "Matthew", but I don't get the "strong and smart" point. – Stan Nov 9 '15 at 7:47
  • The text shown on the stamp is ancient Chinese writing, it is literally called "JiaGu Text" in China. In modern times, even most people in China doesn't know how to decipher these writings, except historians and old-text inspector. Don't worry about what it says, it should be a phrase or word used in ancient China. – user12068 Nov 9 '15 at 8:17
  • Not JiaGu script (oracle script), precisely it should be called 缪篆 or 摹印篆. – Stan Nov 9 '15 at 8:35
  • This is obviously 篆文,not 甲骨文. – thinwa Nov 10 '15 at 2:40
  • Neither 麦 nor 菲 has the meaning of "strong and smart" in Chinese. 麦means wheat, 菲 usually uses as an adjective to describe plants(grass) growing well. – thinwa Nov 10 '15 at 2:53

The the characters on the stamp were written in 小篆(xiao zhuan), which is an ancient Chinese writing form. The character on the right is 麥, which means wheat. The character on the left is 菲, which means the fragrance of plants. I don't know how those two characters could relate to 'strong and smart'. I think the combination of the two characters might have a specific meaning in Japanese, since there are also Chinese characters in Japanese.

• No, there's not specific meaning in Japanese. – songyuanyao Nov 11 '15 at 1:25

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.