For many years ago I went to China and bought a poster. Now i really wonder what the charcters mean. I tried downloading some programs, but I couldn't translate the text.

I understand this is not a translation service. Anyway I'll have to give it a shot. Or else I'm never going to find out what it means.

Chineese text1 Chineese text2

closed as off-topic by NS.X., Stan, user5714, Thomas Hsieh, wpt Dec 20 '15 at 13:23

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service." – NS.X., Stan, Community, Thomas Hsieh, wpt
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The first one is 竹报平安 ('home letter reporting safety', meaning blessing for peace), the second is 丁亥年 (the 24th year in Chinese sexagenary cycle, 1887/1947/2007/2067/... are all 丁亥年). – NS.X. Dec 15 '15 at 1:28
  • I bought the poster January 2008 som it seems resonable the poster is dated to 2007. – martius Dec 15 '15 at 10:01

竹报平安 (zhúbào-píng’ān) = send a letter home saying that all is well

丁亥年 (dīnghài nián) = 2007 (or 1947, 1887, …)

• The full pictures is of 2 pandas and some bambos. The Image is attached to a "stick". And you can roll it around the stick and into a scroll. So i think you're right. It seems made for sending home as a scroll/message. Very happy with the response. Thanks too all. xiè xie :P – martius Dec 15 '15 at 11:00

Picture 1

X(can not recognize)报(traditional Chinese)平安。 means x sends safeness, or x sending safeness。

Picture 2 can“t read it.

竹报平安 (zhúbào-píng’ān) (bamboo for fine),this is a traditional phrase, frequently used when you are away from family for long, and sending a mail back home to tell your family everything is fine for you.

丁亥年 is a traditional style of recording years. There are 10 marks for sky (天干), and 12 marks for earth (地支), and they are grouped one by one, which is 60 groups (干支纪年). 丁 is the 4th of 天干, and 亥 is 12th of 地支.

Also you may have heard that Chinese people have a property called 属相 (shǔxiang), which is an animal standing for the year the person was born. There are 12 animals, paired with 12 地支. 亥 is paired with pig.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.