低喝了一声

I could not see how 喝 here means drink, so I tried to look further in my dictionary and it says:

The same as 嗬, which is an onomatopoeia

Which kind of makes sense since I also found a similar expression: 哼了一声.

However the dictionary seems to give it a tone of surprise, but in that case what does it mean together with 低? Maybe I could translate the sentence as:

he made a small oh

低声,low voice, whisper, mutter, iciba:喝 [hè] (大声喊叫) shout loudly give a loud shout 大喝一声 shout a question to 喝问. 声:verbal measure word,user suggestion: gave a low shout
    – user6065
    Dec 21, 2015 at 0:27
  • @user6065 interesting, at the beginning I also thought about "shout", however it was difficult to imagine what is a small shout, so I began thinking about other hypothesis.anyway It makes sense now, thank you
    – Lex
    Dec 21, 2015 at 11:04
    @Lex I think you're on the right track, baidu has many results for 低喝一声 which in context would mean "to cry out softly" as if you were dismayed or surprised but because you were in a dangerous situation you had to control your volume.
    – tao
    Dec 21, 2015 at 13:09

2 Answers 2

低喝 here may be a shout but not aloud. 喝 is not only drink, but also shout. 低 here is about the voice

(He/She) shouted in a low voice...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.